Monday 18 November 2013

"It is better to study the Vedas, Srimad Bhagavatam"

Balavanta Dasa recalls:

Srila Prabhupada had given a nice lecture and then began to banter with the audience; he picked out Dr Mohanti.The latter was about 40 years old at the time; young enough to be his son. Srila Prabhupada smiled very cordially and was very friendly and loving with Dr Mohanti.

Srila Prabhupada inquired, "What part of India you come from?"

"Orissa", Dr Mohanti replied, a bit proud to be an educated man; he had a PhD in biology.

Srila Prabhupada continued, "So why have you come to the USA?"

Dr Mohanti: "I am a biologist!", as if thinking: 'You have to be proud of me; I'm your countryman, I've succeeded materially. I've got my degree in biology and I am an important man, a professor! See! you have to be proud of me.'

Srila Prabhupada smiled, "Oh!...Poor frogs!"

And the room exploded in laughter.
Dr Mohanti was a nice man, so he responded in a nice way.

"But", he protested, "no no, it is for science, it is for science!"

Srila Prabhupada laughed, "Oh! We'll take YOUR body for science."

And amid the laughter, Dr Mohanti retorted, "Yes yes! I'll do, I'll do!"

Srila Prabhupada concluded, "This enquiry of science is not very important. It is better to study the Vedas, Srimad Bhagavatam!"

No comments:

Post a Comment